Hi my name is Auntie J. In this post, we’ll be showing you how to make a super-cool lighthouse from clay pots. It is lots of fun to make – and it makes a super garden decoration too for all to enjoy. Hope you have fun making it – I certainly did.
What you will need:
- 3 clay pots. One large, one medium and one small. You may have these already in your garden shed-or all garden centres will stock them. The pots I used in this example have the diameter of: Large: 27cms, Medium, 23cms and Small 17cms.
- A small clay pot base – for the top of the lighthouse.
- Acrylic paints – you can use whatever colours you like.
- Super glue
- Bond suitable for clay, such as Unibond
- A clear top coat to seal and protect your lighthouse
- A solar power garden light
- Some old newspapers
- Firstly, paint each of you clay pots with your chosen base colour. You may need to give your pots several coats of paint to get the best finish. I used 3 coats – be sure to let each coat dry fully before painting the next coat.
- Also paint the small clay pot base too.
- Once your base colour is dry, you can paint the rims of the clay pots in whatever colours and designs you wish. You can use red, like me, or even multi-coloured, stripes, swirls, polka dots – wherever your imagination takes you.
You’ll need a grown up to help you with the next step, as it involves super-glue – so be sure to get help from an adult for this next step:
- On the inside rim of the medium and small clay pots – put a small amount of superglue around each rim.
- Now stack the clay pots on top of each other.
- Put some superglue on the base of your small pot base – and glue it to the top of your lighthouse.
- Allow the glue to fully dry
Now you can get really creative and begin to decorate your lighthouse:
- Paint on windows and a door to your lighthouse.
- You can get creative here and add whatever you like – flowers, window boxes, grass – you could even stick some shells onto it.
Once you have completed painting your windows and door and decorating your lighthouse – you’ll need the help of a grown-up again to seal your lighthouse and to also add your solar -powered light:
- I used an Crystal Clear protective coat to spray my lighthouse – but you can use any clear top coat – once it is suitable for use on ceramics.
- Once fully dry – you can add your solar-powered garden light to the top. Put a small amount of glue to the base of the solar light – and hold it in place at the top of the lighthouse.
- To keep it secure, I added a unibond around the base of the light. Once dry, it hardens and will keep your light safe and secure.
I hope you have fun making your lighthouse.
Now you can enjoy your creation – place it in your garden and see it light up at night – make some for presents during lockdown – put them along your driveway to light it up – it will be sure to light up someone’s day.